The City Manager is appointed by the Mayor and City Council for an indefinite term. The City has a Council Manager relationship, whereas, the City Manager serves as Chief Administrative Officer of the City and is responsible for the day-to-day operations, preparing the budget, and hiring and firing personnel and out the policies of the City and Ordinances adopted by the City Council.
Responsibilities - The city manager has several duties and responsibilities, which include but are not limited to:
- Appoints the city department directors
- Enacts policies and procedures to efficiently and effectively carry out the City Council's directives
- Ensures that city services are performed to the highest standard in accordance with council goals and policies
- Prepares, manages, and implements the annual budgets for the city and JPA Agencies and the city Capital Improvement Program (CIP) in support of City Council goals
- Serves as an adviser to the City Council on policy matters impacting City of McFarland's community and the city organization
- Supports the information and policy making needs of the council and implements council decisions