The city has received grant funds for many projects. Some are listed below:
- Infrastructure such as streets, sidewalks, drive approaches, street lights and walking paths
- Software, which includes a new operating system and fully automated services for residents
- Police officers and safety equipment
- Transit improvements
- Training for employees
- Housing development funds for first time homebuyers at Vila del Caribe
- Housing programs
- New wells, including treatment for water quality
- Electric vehicles and motorcycles
- Parks, including Discovery Park
- Transit services and capital improvements
- Pedestrian improvements at Kern Avenue Overpass
- Planning documents, such as the General Plan Update, Local Hazard Mitigation Plan, Master Storm Drain Plan, and many others
Grants provide loans to residents for First Time Home Buyer and Owner Occupied Rehabilitation Programs, ensuring that all types of housing is available and that existing housing is safe, decent and affordable for all. The Owner Occupied Rehabilitation funds are used to correct code deficiencies, such as plumbing, electrical, structural, or even as simple as replacement of old windows or an HVAC system.
The grants department writes the grant application and, if funded, will complete all the conditions to receive the award. After set up conditions are met, the grant administrator will oversee the process to ensure all conditions of the funding agency are met, including financial oversight and completing all reporting requirements. Upon completion of the project or program, the administrator will complete the close out procedure and handle the final audit by the awarding agency.
All grants are subject to auditing by the funding agency, as well as by the state or federal government. Most housing grants are pass-through awards from the federal government and can be audited by HUD, which is the housing department of the federal government. City staff are very cognizant of their duty to be fiduciary responsible and ethical in the handling of the taxpayers funds, which are taken and distributed in the form of grants to the city.
Department of Housing and Employment
Housing and Community Development Department, State of California
Government Benefit Calculator